Monday, 1 August 2011

Home is LITERALLY where the heart is

Whenever people ask me where I am from I always say London or England.
When they ask what my background is I say half Nigerian, half Ghanaian (although I was born in Nigeria).
Whenever I am in a conversation about what country people feel so people say they feel where they have grown up. I have a few friends that where born in Italy yet have Nigerian parents, but they feel Italian.

I have friends from all over the UK and family background is whatever it it yet feel British or English. I suppose it depends on the person. I lived my first four years in Nigeria and have grown up in London ever since yet I don't feel British. Yes I love the Latin/Spanish culture but I don't identity myself as Latin because I am not, I just know Spanish and listen to the music and read the books.
I only identify myself as British on paper and when people ask. It's easier because it's less complicated than saying "I don't feel British because I have a passport."

I can't really say I know where home is for me, it's not Nigeria or Ghana just because my parents are from there. I can't say I feel British or English either, (to be honest I still identify English as white), I just have a British passport. I don't care what anyone says just because I apparently "act Latin" (remember it's in inverted quotation marks before you start calling me a beg), it's just an appreciation of someone else's culture and language. I can do that with everyone's culture I just don't feel as if I am from all these places.

There is nothing wrong with London or Nigeria, I just don't feel as if I am from there. Maybe I will forever be a rolling stone or maybe one day I will settle down somewhere and call it home. I can call the church I go to my HOME church because it is. Home is where you feel comfortable right? Not saying I don't feel comfortable in London, but just like a house is not a home, London is where I live because my family and friends live here. I don't have to live here and now I am going to film school in LA, maybe I will call that home, I will give it 6 months and let you know. Believe me I have great friends here, a great Church and I have family too that is what is going to keep me coming back to London, nothing more.

Who knows where I will call home? I do want to find it one day, but for now I will just wait.

xoxo

Mazzie

No comments:

Post a Comment